Olson Engineering serves a wide variety of industries and clientele who need high-quality NDT imaging of concrete, masonry, wood, asphalt, stone, and pipes, for the purpose of constructing, maintaining, and retrofitting civil structures; and large-scale subsurface imaging of geologic, hydrogeologic, geotechnical/engineering features for the purpose of minimizing risk in design, construction and mitigation using geophysics. The unique combination of utilizing NDT technologies for man-made structures and geophysical imaging of earth materials provides our clients with a single-source contractor capable of meeting their program objectives
Below is a partial list of the variety of industries and type of clients Olson serves:
- Bridge Contractors: by evaluating the integrity of both the super-structure and substructure.
- Geological & Geotechnical Engineering Contractors: by evaluating the integrity of subsurface materials, either man-made (e.g., embankment dams) or natural geologic features for pipelines, embankment and concrete dams, wind farms, real-time landslide monitoring with state-of-the-art radar tools, highways & transportation corridors for maximizing public safety and minimizing risk during design, construction and/or mitigation of failures.
- Electricians: by locating and detecting reinforcement, pipes, and conduits in existing structures.
- Environmental Contractors: by investigating radioactive containers, clay caps used for containing municipal landfill and/or toxic materials, and detection of underground storage facilities which once contained contaminants.
- Civil Engineering Contractors: by evaluating the integrity of a wide variety of materials composing the foundations, pipelines, refineries, jetties, buildings, and bridges used for industry.
- Hydrogeologists: by evaluating the geologic structures and stratigraphy conducive to produce groundwater either from shallow alluvial well fields or deep bedrock aquifers.
- Mining Geologists and Engineers: by assessing vast areas for geologic conditions conducive to ore body resources, defining reserves at known mines, and helping with mining operations/activities using shallow engineering geophysics.
- Oil & Gas Industry: by evaluating the integrity of the materials composing their miles of pipelines, complex refineries, and massive storage facilities (above- or below-ground).
- Railway Contractors: by evaluating the drilled shafts used to support railroad bridges and embankment properties, as well as slope stability to avoid shut down due to landslides or rockfall.
- General Construction Contractors: when problems arise during construction, assessing change-of-conditions, or when mitigation of a failure is necessary.
- Water and Wastewater Facilities: by evaluating dams, holding tanks, spillways, pipes, and tunnels for integrity and structural stability.
The nature of Nondestructive Testing and Geophysical subsurface imaging allows the wide variety of methods available to be used for many applications within the industries we serve. Some of these applications include:
- Assessing the condition of deep foundations and driven piles.
- Characterizing unknown foundation depths and conditions.
- Evaluating the structural integrity of buildings, bridges, and other structures.
- Characterizing reinforcement, conduits, and concrete integrity and thickness for the purpose of retrofitting buildings, bridges, and other structures.
- Assessing the integrity of pavements, slabs-on-grade, and the subgrade materials that support them.
- Investigating the integrity and location of pipes, conduits, tunnels, and mineshafts.
- Characterizing dams and spillways for retrofitting and condition assessment purposes.
- Characterizing the subsurface for large construction and/or environmental projects.
- Characterizing the soil and rock properties for seismic design purposes.
- Monitoring vibrations during pile driving, construction activities near sensitive structures, and during blasting operations.
- Site investigation for the measurement of ambient and operating vibrations for electronics and other vibration sensitive manufacturing.
- Vibration measurement and analysis of rock crushers and other mine equipment.
- Vibration monitoring during rehabilitation activities performed on historic structures.
Although this list describes a ‘short list’ of the NDT and geophysical investigations that Olson Engineering routinely performs, there are many other areas in which we have applied these specialty services. We are on the forefront of product research, design, and manufacturing the very equipment we conduct surveys. Please call and speak directly with one of our engineers, geologists, or geophysicists concerning your project need(s) and we will be happy to discuss the application of appropriate methods to meet those objectives. Olson Engineering considers no job to be too large or too small. Click on the Contact Us page to connect with the office that can assist with your program needs.